Get a head start on winterizing your homes! In 2016 Boise had a total of 35.5 inches of snow over just a two month period between December and January, breaking the previous record of 30.5 inches during the winter of 1983-1984. So bundle up, Boise! Winter is coming!
1. Replace your filters! Make sure you change the filters in your central air and heating systems often. If you haven’t changed them recently, now is the perfect time to replace your old filters to prepare for winter.
2. Change the direction of your ceiling fans! If your ceiling fans turn counterclockwise, they are less effective at pushing hot air along the ceiling and towards the floor. Change your fans to turn clockwise for maximum heating efficiency.
3. Block the drafts! The U.S. Department of Energy says that drafts in the home can waste 5 to 30 percent of your energy use. Cover those expensive drafts with an inexpensive solution! Use a rolled up bath towel to cover door drafts, or cut up an old blanket to use as daft snakes throughout your home.
4. Clean your gutters! Before any snow falls, make sure that your gutters are free of leaves and debris so that water can flow and prevent icicles and ice dams from forming.
5. Insulate your pipes! No one has the time or extra cash to deal with frozen pipes. Covering your pipes with pipe foam can help reduce the risk of frozen pipes and help you pay less for hot water. Any pipe that is warm to the touch is a good pipe to insulate for the winter.
6. Control your thermostat! Purchasing a programmable thermostat can be a lifesaver for your bank account! With the ability to lower the thermostat while you’re at work, and then warm your home up right before you get back is a great way to save money and energy.
7. Water heater temp is too high! Many homeowners unknowingly keep their water heaters on the default setting, at around 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Most homeowners, though, only need their hot water heaters to be set at 120 degrees to use comfortably. Lowering your hot water heater by 20 degrees can save anywhere from 6 to 10 percent on your bills!
8. Flush your water heater! You can flush out the particles and sediment that collects over time through the drain valve on the water heater, keeping your heater functioning at its best!
9. Cover your windows! Using plastic window cover can keep that cold winter air from infiltrating your home. Inexpensive window treatments can be purchased at any hardware store. Another great tip is to use bubble wrap to cover the windows! While it might look a little strange, bubble wrap will block the cold air while still allowing light to shine in.
10. Bring out those sweaters! Keeping you warm indoors doesn’t have to be left up to your heater. Grab those heavy knit sweaters, and get cozy. A long sleeved sweater can create up to 4 degrees of added warmth, giving your heater a little break.
After getting everything winterized , don’t forget to have fun! Check out these ideas for a festive holiday home, and despite the winter chaos Idahoans prepare for, you can still make this December one to remember!
“Kirsten rocks! She really did have our best interest at heart and was upfront and honest during the whole process. I’ve heard that buying a home can be stressful but that doesn’t describe my experience at all. All of my questions were answered before I ever needed to ask them. I knew exactly what was happening and what the next step would be before it happened. We will definitely be back for our next home purchase and sale as well as referring everyone we know her way.”
“Dan handled all the work of listing our home…every single part, all we had to do is make the decisions on which offer to pick. We are extremely happy with Accel and the service provided to us in selling our home…the buyer found it online, loved the virtual tour, and made an offer.”
“We thought buying our first house would be complicated…with Ron’s help we found one we love. There were multiple offers and ours was the one they accepted because our he knew how to negotiate for us. The best experience ever!“
“…extremely confident in dealing with the terms and negotiations from beginning to end, including the selling price. I was very impressed with all the support. Actually did a video walk-through before coming to Idaho…would recommend Alei five stars to anyone looking for real estate in Eagle.“
“The home buying experience was nothing like we thought it would be. Linda found a better mortgage rate and we bought a home in much less time than we had anticipated…everything worked in our favor. Thank you so much for making it happen!“
“…Jeff was just flawless, he had the best recommendations every step of the way to make sure we picked everything perfectly. I couldn’t have imagined a better buying experience, from the very first minute until after we moved in.”
“My family noticed right away how sharp the photos and brochures looked, loved the 3-D Tour of the floorplan. Michele told us the “details mattered” and that it’s the most important thing when selling your home. Thank you for all the work upfront to make going-on-the-market stress free and selling for full price.“
“I couldn’t recommend a better real estate agent than Sanel. My husband and I had a long wishlist of features for our new house, and Sanel found incredible options that perfectly matched what we were looking for – Amazing experience from start to finish.”
The properties our Advisors represent sell for more because they are marketed at the highest level and to the largest local and global audiences.SELLER'S SERVICES